In this amid lockdown, we all know that the daily routine has been changed for all of us because of the work from home schedule, “stay- inside” warnings and staying up till late night. So, the skin problems usually comes when there is a lack of rest in our lives or if the stress level is high. Or it may happen because of the type of food or skin products we consume. So, the basic problems revolves around our daily life routine and most importantly on our sleep cycle.
What do we mean Dark Circle under the eyes?
Dark circles mean the darkening of the skin primarily below both the eyes. In dark circles, the skin beneath the eyes look dull and the eyes look sunken. This is due to their close proximity to the underlying bone.
Causes of Dark Circles
There can be many causes for dark circles and these are rarely a cause of concern, but since it affects the appearance of a person, they wish to reduce it as soon as possible. The causes of Dark Circles are :
- Lack of sleep
- Hyperpigmentation (happens when body produces more melanin)
- Reduced levels of fatty tissues under the eye
- Thinning skin under the eyes
- Overexposure to sunlight
- Frequent rubbing of eyes.
There can be more causes like having eye strain because of staring at the television or computer screen or eye dryness which comes by itching,redness or puffy eyes. Even genetics plays a role in developing dark circles under the eyes. It can be inherited trait seen early in childhood and may worsen as your age or slowly disappear.
Home remedies to reduce the dark circles
People are able to reduce the dark circles by applying some home remedies. Some are scientifically proven and some are not. Since none of them produce side effects, so it is okay to use them and enjoy the benefits it does to the skin. The home remedies are as follows:
- Sleep – it is most important thing. This is because if you will sleep for seven-eight hours in a day, it will help you to reduce the dark circles. Sleep deprivation can cause the skin to appear pale. So sleep well!
- Drink water – Since dehydration is also one of the common cause of dark circles. Drink plenty of water to prevent skin problems and avoid dehydration.
- Tea bags – Apply cold tea bags on eyes. First, soak 2 tea bags in hot water for 5 minutes and then refrigerate it for 15-20 minutes. Now, keep it on your eyes for 15-20 minutes and then rinse your eyes. It consists of antioxidants and caffeine that helps to stimulate blood circulation, shrink the blood vessels and reduce liquid retention beneath the skin.
- Ice cubes – Ice can help in reducing the swelling and shrink the blood vessels. You can wrap a few ice cubes in a clean washcloth and applied to your eyes.
- Cold Tablespoons- Take two tablespoons and chill them in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes. Now, put it on your eyes and rest for 5 minutes. You will feel relax and calm!
- Aloevera– Aloevera gel is very beneficial for the skin. The dark circles will also reduce if you put aloevera gel under the eyes and let it cool down. After it dries up you can wash your face too.
- Cucumber – Apply cucumber slices to the eyes. It will soothe the tiredness and swelling will be reduced. The high water and vitamin C content in cucumber helps to nourish and moisture the skin. We can also use tomato since it carries vitamin C too.
So these are some simple home remedies which can be applied by anyone, any group and there are no side effects. Try them and let your skin relax for a while!
If you enjoyed this post, I’d be very grateful if you’d help it spread by emailing it to a friend or sharing it on Twitter or Facebook. What kinds of content would you like to see more on this blog? Thank you!